Choosing the perfect pillow
Being comfortable while you sleep can mean the difference between a solid nights’ sleep or a night of insomnia. Choosing the right pillow can greatly impact your comfort levels throughout the night.
The first thing to consider is how you sleep. Are you a side, stomach, or back sleeper?
- If you are side sleeper, you may want a firmer fuller pillow to give your neck and head more support.
- If you are a stomach sleeper you may want a flatter thinner pillow with minimal support in order to maintain neutral spine alignment. A pillow under your stomach may even work well to avoid lower back pain.
- If you sleep on your back, it is recommended to look for a pillow with medium height to keep your head and spine aligned. Too high and your neck will be craned upward and be quite uncomfortable.
Next, decide on the size. Consider 3 factors:
- How big your bed is.
- How many pillows you need.
- How you will use them.
For most people, a standard-size pillow is sufficiently large for sleeping, but you can choose a larger pillow size for queen, and king size beds. If you prefer a larger pillow, that’s fine, provided you can keep your sleep posture in alignment. Keep in mind that the thickness or thinness of your pillow should enable you to sleep with your head, neck, and shoulders aligned with your spine, as well as provide you comfort. You may also want to add pillows to your bed for lounging or to layer and match the size of your bed, meaning you may need several for comfort.
Third, consider what filler is inside your pillow. You can choose from many such as:
- Foam for firm support
- Memory Foam which molds to fit your shape.
- Wool/cotton which are very firm and also resist mold and dust mites, or
- Down/Feathers which are fluffy, soft and pliable so you can adjust the feathers to where you need the most support.
Lastly, when shopping for a pillow, consider more than just cost.
Being expensive does not make a pillow better or mean it is right for you. If possible, try it out in the store. If you buy it on line, read reviews form people that have purchased one to give you more of an accurate description of its comfort level.
Want to read more? Check out some other blogs here.